"Dead" And "Alive" Places of North Ossetia
The Republic of North Ossetia-Alania is located in south of Russia. This place is now a home for more than 100 nationalities. Its ecosystem is also deverse. Plains, riffs, mountains, rivers and canyons make this part of the country extremely interesting for travelers, tourists and climbers.
Silent and gorgeous mountains of this land have been a valuable treasure for many centuries. They amaze tourists, and provide the republic with valuable minerals.
1. These mountains have also been a home for people and a crypt for departed.
3. An ancient fortress use to protect the region.
5. Two places: the City of the Dead and an ore district Sadon are located in the south of North Ossetia-Alania. The mortal village is in a settlement in Prigorodny District, Dargavs. It lies in the center of a beautiful mountain valley.
6. 99 tombs and crypts of the City of the Dead were built in the 12th century by population of Dargavs for burying their loved ones.
7. Those stone crypts were used from the 12th up to 18th centuries. Many generations used this place as a cemetery to save lands for living.
9. A populated place Verkhniy Sadon is located not far from Dargavs. It used to be an industrial center, and was built in the beginning of the 19th century around the mining industry.
10. This ore district was populated with miners, who worked hard to get valuable resources. In the beginning of the 20th century Caucus provided around 26-28 tons of silver-lead and zinc ores.
11. In 2002 this place was literally destroyed by the Sadonka River.
12. Its population was moved to other lands. But some people got back to Sadon to stay here.